RE: mac adress setup for edb7xxx network interface

On 27-Jun-00 Rene.Affourtit@pemstar.nl wrote:
> In the ethernet driver setup for the edb7xxx boards the hardware address is
> set to a fixed value
> ( devs/arm/eth/arm/edb7xxxx/current/src/if_edb7xxx.c line line 174 - 178 )
>
> my board (edb7111-2) is equipped with an eeprom which contains a
> configuration for the ethenet chip.
> Is it possible to check for the eprom_present and eeprom_ok bits in the
> status register?
>
> you'd get something like this:
>
> if( !(chip_status&PP_SelfStat_EEPROM) ||
> !(chip_status&PP_SelfStat_EEPROM_OK) )
> {   // no eeprom present  or eeprom not OK
>      // Set up hardware address - FIXME
>     for (i = 0;  i < ETHER_ADDR_LEN;  i += 2) {
>         put_reg(PP_LAF+i, 0xFFFF);
>         put_reg(PP_IA+i, enaddr[i] | (enaddr[i+1] << 8));
>     }
> }
>
> was this not implemented because of time pressure, or is there some other
> reason and might it break something?
> Rene

It wasn't implemented because none of the boards that Cirrus Logic provided
us with have EEPROMs!!  The desirable outcome would be to support the driver
getting the MAC address from the EEPROM as well as some stand-alone application
to set up the device (since it may come from the factory unprogrammed).

If you want to fix this and send me the changes, I'll gladly put it into the
mainline code :-)