Re: serial driver questions

>   I'm setting up an eCos system on custom hardware to support
>   an application that is being ported from a previous design,
>   and I've some questions about the serial driver:
>
> Non-Blocking I/O
[...]
> Serial-Port Configuration
[...]
> Modem Status/Control Lines
[...]

FWIW, I've also noticed that the receive code in the 16550
driver ignores the receive status bits.  I'll have to change my
16850 driver so that it

 a) Throws out bytes with receive errors (parity, framing, etc.).

    Q: If this were going to be a generic driver for use by
       everybody, should I make this

       c) the way it always works.

       a) a runtime decision that is configurable via the
          config flags.

       b) a compile-time package configuration option.

    Option c is obviously the easiest, and that's what I'm
    going to do for now.

 b) Keeps running totals (resettable) of each of the types of
    errors.  Counting the errors is simple enough, but getting
    the info through the common serial driver code to the
    application is the tricky part.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com