Re: ecos-SWtools

Bart Veer wrote:

>     Michael> Hi all,
>     Michael> i am new at eCOS and i tried to install version 1.2 recently
>     Michael> on my Linux box. I'm running Suse Linux 6.1. I encountered a few
>     Michael> problems when compiling the SWtools (ecosSWtools-990319-src).
>     Michael> I applied the RedHat Patch, cause i had trouble to compile
>     Michael> expect. I do not know, if applying the patch was a good idea,
>     Michael> i only saw that some tcl and expect source files have been
>     Michael> patched and so i thought this patch would also work for my
>     Michael> Suse Linux, but it didn't. Has any one else run into troubles
>     Michael> compiling expect? (i'm sorry that i currently can not provide
>     Michael> the error messages i got)
>     Michael> Second on Suse Linux 6.1 there are 2 further problems. The
>     Michael> first is that there is no libtermcap.so in /usr/lib, so you
>     Michael> have to provide a link manually ( and do ldconfig). Second
>     Michael> the include file debugreg.h, which is needed building the debugger,
>     Michael> is not in /usr/src/include/linux but in /usr/src/include/asm,
>     Michael> so you have to copy or link it appropriately. I think i saw these
>     Michael> problems fixed in Suse 6.2.
>     Michael> Third i have another question: Most of the tools for the host
>     Michael> are already there on my system. Can i delete these entries in
>     Michael> the configure.in file (under host_libs and host_tools) without
>     Michael> worrying about dependencies, i.e. which of the host_libs and
>     Michael> host_tools are absolutely needed?
>
> The versions of Tcl and expect provided with the eCos toolchain are
> getting somewhat old, and recent releases of Linux have managed to
> break builds in different and confusing ways. However these recent
> Linux releases should all come with up to date versions of the
> necessary tools anyway, so there is little point in rebuilding the
> versions shipped with eCos.
>
> To make sure that you have an up to date version of Tcl already
> installed, run /usr/bin/tclsh:
>
> $ /usr/bin/tclsh
> % info patchlevel
> 8.0.3
> % exit
> $
>
> Any version of Tcl >= 8.0.3 should be fine. The simplest way to
> proceed is to delete the tcl, tk, expect and dejagnu subdirectories
> from an ecosSWtools source tree and then re-run configure. Please let
> me know how you get on.
>
> Some of the other directories may not be useful if you have a recent
> Linux installation. I suspect that bison, byacc, diff, dosrel, flex,
> gprof, make, patch, texinfo, and winsup all fall into this category,
> but I could be wrong.
>
> gdb is more of an issue, but from your description it appears that the
> problems are with Suse 6.1 rather than with gdb itself. Your
> workarounds seem fine. Alternatively you could try the gdb 4.18
> release from http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/index.html, that is a
> [...]

Thanks for your help, but i do not think that deleting subdirectories
from the ecosSWtools source directory would do fine. I tried this and
got error messages from configure about missing subdirectories and so on.
Therefore i think you better delete the tools you do not want to build
from either the Makefile or even better from the configure.in file
(host_libs and host_tools section). Therefore my question, if you have
to take into account any dependencies, as for example do some of the
target tools need some of the host tools or host libs already built?

regards
  Michael