ECOS Re: Fitting it on the drive

    Kenneth> More an NT problem than an eCos problem: I'm having
    Kenneth> trouble building eCos because I keep running out of disk
    Kenneth> space.

    Kenneth> I've got a 2gb FAT16 partition, so the cluster size
    Kenneth> sucks. I've been brutally pruning stuff off the drive but
    Kenneth> I still haven't finished building the tools because of
    Kenneth> the production of many small files.

    Kenneth> How do others handle this? Is there a way to overlay
    Kenneth> another (possibly compressing) filesystem on the FAT16
    Kenneth> partition to give me better use of the space?

It may be possible to do the toolchain build in stages rather than all
at once. You will need to do a single configure to produce a complete
build tree. Then you should be able to run "make all install" in each
subdirectory, using the order defined in the top-level makefile,
followed by a "make clean" to free up the disk space again. It will be
a rather tedious process, and occasionally you may have to fix up a
couple of things by hand, but there is a good chance it will work.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer