This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the eCos project.
Re: lwIP upgrade to CVS HEAD
- From: Simon Kallweit <simon dot kallweit at intefo dot ch>
- To: John Dallaway <john at dallaway dot org dot uk>
- Cc: eCos development list <ecos-devel at ecos dot sourceware dot org>, John Eigelaar <john at kses dot net>
- Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 13:28:57 +0200
- Subject: Re: lwIP upgrade to CVS HEAD
- References: <49F83C8B.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4A001575.email@example.com>
John Dallaway wrote:
* sys.h: Added an include. I don't know if this really is necessary.
Will check with the lwIP mailing list.
* init.c: Removed a check for PPP in NO_SYS mode, which is not valid
with my current PPP changes.
* ppp: I did some work on the PPP code, added polling support, added
pppdump support. As said earlier, this is currently quite a mess, and I
think we should work on the lwIP port first, not focusing on PPP.
Yes, let's focus on getting a clean port of the lwIP with solid ethernet
support committed. If I understand correctly, PPP support in the master
lwIP sources has some problems at present. Fixing the PPP support sounds
like a separate project to me.
Well, that's it. Not many changes at all, and I think with some commits
to the lwIP repository we can use the pure lwIP code with no changes at
all. Getting PPP right on the other hand, will need some serious work.
Do you know if anyone in the lwIP community is intending to work on the
PPP support in the near future?
No, currently there is nobody intending to work on it. With the latest
commits to lwIP, PPP even got broken in a few places. Ultimately,
someone should take the current pppd sources which the lwIP PPP port is
originally based on and adapt to them. But this is quite a bit of work.
I will review the CDL.
Good to hear :)
The sequential API is required for the socket API and desirable in its
own right as it provides a good compromise between ease of use and
memory footprint. John Eigelaar has indicated that he would be willing
to help with this and already has a copyright assignment in place.
Any help is appreciated. I will gladly help testing and do work on this
too, when there is need. But I would like to have John Eigelaar commit
his changes and go from there instead of going from scratch.
We will need more functionality in place before we can replace the
existing lwIP port in the eCos repository trunk. We could use your own
tree or we could cut a branch in the eCos repository. I would prefer to
branch the eCos repository as this would enhance visibility within the
eCos community, gives a better sense of shared ownership, and allows the
eCos maintainers to monitor progress more easily. Be assured that I am
keen to support this lwIP port update and will ensure that patches are
committed to the branch quickly.
I think that's a good idea.