Re: Newbie routing question

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:33:09AM -0000, Lee Davies wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've been looking around the ECOS source code and discovered a route.c file,
> which contains routines that look like basic routing functionality.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot found any reference to this file or it's functions in
> the latest ECOS documentation.
>
> Does anybody have any information on this file and features it offers ?
>
> Is there any routing functionality already built into ECOS ?

Depends how you define routing.

The current network initialization code is sufficient for eCos to be a
multi-homed end system. ie if you have two interfaces you can
configure them manually or via DHCP to be on different networks. It
will then work out which interface to send out a packet using the
entries in the routing table.

It also appears that the FreeBSD stack contains the IPv4 forwarding
code. So if you enable it, the kernel might be able to forward packets
from one interface to the other. What you don't have is any routing
daemon. You would either have to setup static routes or write/port a
suitable routing daemon.

As far as i known no-one has used eCos as an IP forwarder. So there
might be surprises yet to be found when you try this.

      Andrew