flash driver interface improvement

Hi all,

it appears to me that the current flash driver interface is
very inflexible, supporting only flash chips with uniform
sector layout. I'd therefore like to propose an extension that
I am going to describe below, and that I would volunteer to
implement if the ecos maintainers agree to this proposal.

The idea goes as follows: If during initialization the driver
returns a non-zero sector size (as all existing drivers are
supposed to do), the everything stays as it is now, thus
backward compatibility is ensured. A flash driver implementation
that wants to support a non-uniform sector layout returns a
sector size of zero (0x0), and it provides a function for
its clients to call with a sector index as an argument, that
returns a sector descriptor struct giving the base address,
size, and maybe other information about that sector.

Any comments?

tk
Thomas Koeller, Software Development

Basler Vision Technologies