Re: [docbook] Re: DocBook Annotations

Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote:

Your proposal is able to connect annotation only with text, not with some element like abbrev -- this is the main problem of whole annotation issue. How to markup relation between annotation and its target? There were a lot of proposals and discussions in past on public:

Just so that I understand properly, if I wanted to associate an annotation
with, say, an image, wouldn't I write:

  <annot alt="the annotation
text"><mediaobject>....stuff...</mediaobject></annot>

Of course, you can write it like this. And now try to get complex schema like DocBook and implement this stuff in it. Because there are a tens of elements like mediaobject that can appear in different places you must justify this logic with your annot element. So you will have different content models for annot element depending on annot parent element. Not something that will make schema easy to understand and easy to modify.

Jirka