Re: [docbook] DocBook SGML encoding?

On Wednesday 18 of February 2004 04:09, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Unfortunately no. But some applications (notably these ones
> which are  based on sp parser from James Clark) can understand
> XML declaration even  in SGML file:

I like xsltproc, because it is so fast. Moreover, if I would
mangle output from LyX, then I can go all the way and change it
to XML Docbook (actually, it is not so complicated, because
Docbook from LyX is very XML-like -- no minimalization; just
tested on one example file, which required just switch DOCTYPE
and remove lang="en_US" from article element and is valid; both
of these things are no brainer for a sed script).

> If I remember it correctly, support for DocBook SGML will be
> dropped from libxml2 soon. So I would recommend you to use XML
> version of  DocBook. If the LyX is unable to save files in XML,
> you can use sx (or  osx) program from sp (or opensp) package to
> get XML from SGML.

I will try that sed script :-) It seems to me that possibility to
use more than one tool for processing XML documents means that I
have to install all of them :-).

> With DocBook XML source DocBook stylesheets produce FO output
> in UTF-8.  Maybe usage of SGML frontend in libxml2 brokes this
> behaviour.

Probably.

> Although TDG is briliant reference for DocBook its parts
> dealing with tools and processing of DocBook documents are
> little bit out-of-date. I can recommend you Bob's excellent
> guide to the processing DocBook with  XSL stylesheets:
>
> http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/index.html

Yes, I found that.

> And if you are that Matěj who can read Czech :-D, you can find
> some information also in my own DocBook tutorial:
>
> http://www.kosek.cz/xml/db/

I am very much Matěj who can read Czech :-) I am actually the
same Matěj who defended LaTeX against your suggesting XML as
superior :-). Oh well.

	Thanks,

		Matěj

--