[docbook] Re: EBNF

[ Cursed, blasted, gosh darned MIME problem! ]

/ Justus.Piater@ULg.ac.be (Justus H. Piater) was heard to say:
| Can the EBNF module be augmented in the following way:
|
| - define a <terminal> tag

Just for completeness, or did you have something else in mind?

| - allow <productionset> in <example> and <informalexample>, and
|   <terminal> and <nonterminal> in free text (for descriptive and
|   didactive purposes)

I think nonterminal is already allowed inline in a lot of places.
Allowing productionset in example seems reasonable to me.

|   purposes)

I suppose.

| - allow <subscript> in <rhs>

Why?

| - use <literal> for the obvious purpose in EBNF grammars (or define a
|   new tag for it, if this usage conflicts with its current definition)
|
| See
| http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/Cours/INFO0055/Notes/05/foil19.xhtml
| for a rendered example.
|
| I have a home-brew variant of the official EBNF module that implements
| these ideas, and I think that all of them are of general interest. I'm
| appending it below.

Can you send some examples of source documents using your customization?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | An author is a fool who, not
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | content with boring those he lives
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | with, insists on boring future