Re: [docbook] Linux editors for DTDs?

At 08:33 18/12/2003, David O'Brien wrote:

> >It will be used for writing a combination of User Documentation, Release
> >Notes, Technical Documentation and possibly training material based on the
> >above.
>
> You might want to look at one of the DTD to HTML if your need is for
> presentation.
>
> I use emacs, dtd-mode from Tony Graham for editing DTD's.
> Validation I'd take as a separate issue, using your favourite
> parser.
> dtd-mode has most of the features I need.
> Downside? No wysiwyg mode. That's just frustrating working
> with DTD's.
>
> HTH DaveP

Thanks for your comments, but, not sure I understand DTD to HTML.... We don't
deliver in html, if that's what you're thinking. At least, not at this point.
Everything is pdf.

You say above that you deliver technical documentation?
I interpreted that as documentation on the DTD's.

By validation I mean the editor is DTD aware; that is, it won't let you put in
tags that would violate the DTD, or if it does it tells you in loud words.
XMLMind does that. I was hoping not to spend too much time actually editing
DTDs. If I get into customization, etc., I might do a bit, but at the moment
I'm still learning about the whole concept.

Two things there. Editing the DTD is one thing, Editing the XML or SGML instance that is valid to that DTD is another.

I guess you mean the second item?
Again emacs is good for that, psgml-mode or nxml-mode, but I guess
your need for wysiwyg means its no good to you.

Expensive, but very very good, Epic is a very good editor
that you may like.

HTH DaveP