RE: [docbook] Marking up optional parameters?

I would use the <optional/> element in a <parameter/>:

f>

You may also want to consider <cmdsynopsis/> to see if it will be better
able to document Perl methods.  <cmdsynopsis/> is typically used for UNIX
shell commands, but I don't see anything in TDG that in any way forbids its
use for other "software commands".  The above would just be

 <arg choice="opt">argument_name</arg>

if you were in a <cmdsynopsis/>