Re: [docbook] Ruminations on the future of DocBook

My 2 cents:

I think that one of the major problems is that many of us have never been trained to properly use the DocBook. We figure it out as we go along and misuse it at the same time. I know I have. Information is provided in the DocBook reference but sometimes it requires one to understand the jargon to an extent a newbie just doesn't. This text could be reworked to accommodate more self taught individuals and our not understanding the jargon yet.

Another problem is that some people just don't understand proper document structure at all. I work as a tech writer and know many people who cannot properly tag a document in FrameMaker or (gag) Word. These people completely sabotage all attempts at moving to XML. I won't even go into the fact that most of these people have no understanding of the technology they write about because that's too far off topic.

The same could have been done with sections: <section>This is just a section</section> or
<section role=numbered>This section gets a number.</section>

I know that this is water under the bridge (especially considering the need to support existing documents), and my not simplify things, but with my limited experience with DTDs it seems that it may provide some way of simplifying the structure while allowing the complexity to be handled through the use of attributes.

Another problem is how we look at the world. For example there is the discussion about a <task> element. I usually use the word "process" (high level) rather than "task" in contradistinction to "procedure" (low level). This may lead to excessive elements or not realizing one's needs are already met. This may be a poor example because there is no <process> or <task> element at the moment but there may be very closely related elements that could have used the same term. This happens a lot in programming languages such as "method" versus "function". Perhaps a careful generalization could be done to accommodate similar functionality but different terms (jargon).

I may be off-base but those are a few of my thoughts, for whatever they're worth.

Jeff Biss

Jeff Biss