Re: [docbook] <title> element forces inconsistent semantics

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 02:40:07PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   as i just found out the hard way, a <qandaset> element that has a
> <title> will consult the appropriate attribute-set
> "section.title.level1.properties", which may in fact introduce
> a page break before that <qandaset>.
>
>   it's not so much that this is non-intuitive, but that it's
> inconsistent.  as i read it, the <qandaset> itself is not what
> causes the page break -- only the fact that it has a <title>.
> removing its child <title> element removes the i(potential) page
> break.
>
>   this is inconsistent since other elements (the lists, for
> example), can also have a <title> element, but those will *not*
> cause a page break.  this is inconsistent as there is nothing
> to suggest why a <qandaset> should somehow be treated differently
> in this respect.
>
>   either all <title>s should have this effect, or none of them.

I agree.  If you want your qandasets to have section-like
headings, then you should use a section element
with its own title to contain a qandaset without title.

I think a qandaset title should just use the
formal.object.heading template like list titles use.

Would you care to file a bug report on SourceForge about this?

                                            email: bobs@sco.com