RE: [docbook] URN for Simplified DocBook and DocBook XML

I have been evangalizing canonical URLs for system identifiers among SGML
docheads (usually, they don't quite seem to get it). And I've proposed an
easy-to-use scheme for mapping canonical URLs to the local file system [1].

But to be true, I think the XML Specification is flawed in requiring a
system identifier.

"System identifier should always work" -- why? This is naïve -- they should,
but hey, they don't always work correctly, or at all. Uncertainty is
something to be avoided in a production environment. Sometimes, I
specifically don't want a document to work without entity resolution through
catalogs -- my catalogs. Just as in the good ol' SGML days.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200210/msg00038.html

--
      \|/
     <@ @>         Peter Ring