[docbook] questions about docbook

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about docbook documents.  First, I'd like to
say that I'm a physicist at the University of Pittsburgh and I'm so far
quite impressed with the docbook packages.  I am writing a couple of
documents in docbook and I expect that some of my colleagues will be
willing to follow my lead (I don't know of anyone else in my field using
docbook).

First, how does one reference and enumerate a bibliography?  I have a
reference to a document and I would like to "link" it to the reference in
the text.   In latex terms, this would be the \cite{key} function and the
"bibitem" would have the same  key.  I have the bibliography in the
document, but I do not know what I need to link the reference in the
document to the bibliography entry.

Second, there are several equation tags and there are also an adequate
number of symbols available from ISOtech.ent and ISOamsb.ent.   However it
seems that all of the equation tags require a figure tag.   If I want to
write an equation which is simply made of the ISOtech and ISOamsb symbols
and I don't want it inline in the text, how do I do it?

Thanks,
Jeff McDonald

Jeffrey McDonald,PhD. University of Pittsburgh jemcdon+ at pitt dot edu
100 Allen Hall                             office: 412-624-9056
3941 O'Hara St.                            lab:    412-624-9160
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy             fax:    412-624-9163
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260