Re: Re: Working with XInclude / xml:base / libxml v2.4.24 andabove

At 7:51 AM -0500 3/12/03, Norman Walsh wrote:

No. The base URI in both cases is: http://www.example.com/docs/

The base URI is not the same as the "document URI".

I agree that would be nicer, and it makes more sense; but it's not my reading of either the XML Infoset or the XML Base specification. In particular, section 4.1 of the XML Base spec <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/#rfc2396> states,

RFC 2396 [IETF RFC 2396] provides for base URI information to be embedded within a document. The rules for determining the base URI can be summarized as follows (highest priority to lowest):

1. The base URI is embedded in the document's content.
2. The base URI is that of the encapsulating entity (message, document, or none).
3. The base URI is the URI used to retrieve the entity.
4. The base URI is defined by the context of the application.

Assuminng there's no xml:base attribute in scope, then either 2 or 3 applies. Both use the base URI of the document itself, not the directory where the document is found. RFC 2396 seems to say the same thing. What am I missing?

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo at metalab dot unc dot edu | Writer/Programmer |
|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |