Re: sgml vs xml

>Very interesting. Will be these features usable with RTF backend or just
>with JadeTeX? Do you plan to support footnotes in RTF?

I am the one in charge of the page-sequence and column-set-sequence implementation.
One of the students in my university accepted the project I proposed for
developing OpenJade, and it has been very enriching for him, it is a complex
thing adequate for a university student.

As you have asked, I tell you the state of the implementation.

All the flow objects that were defined in the original DSSSL standard are
already implemented, page-sequence and column-set-sequence included, but
those two are only half implemented, because we have yet to accept page-model
definitions. We are working on it, and it will be finished shortly. In the
new OpenJade release, the flow object positioning restrictions will be also
implemented (some flow objects can only be places as children of other ones).
In some days we will put in CVS all the code developed.

The development we are doing only places the flow objects in the flow object
tree. This is the part defined in DSSSL. Backends in openjade are developed
to generate a formatting that responds to the flow object tree. I have been
told by many that the RTF backend is not powerfull enough as to accept the
complexity that can introduce the page-model and column-set-model definitions.
We have not yet started developing any formatting for the new flow objects,
but my plan is to start with jadetex. My idea is to import as much of the
jadetex functionality into openjade, and perform computations inside the
tool, and not in the formatting.

I hope this answers your questions. We are extremely in need of developers.
It seems XML tools have taken all the attention, forgetting that there are
already good working tools that could be also interesting. But we will slowly
finish it. I hope our efforts will catch someone's attention and with time
we can manage to find more developers.

I have send a late breaking news proposal to XML Europe about the development
we have done, but I am quite sure they are not interested at all.

Nueva Tiscali ADSL libre www.tiscali.es/libre
¡¡¡ POR SÓLO 16,95 euros al mes !!!
+ tiempo de conexión (0,024 ./min.)
Y cuota máxima garantizada de 39,95 ./mes
AHORA ALTA GRATIS
¡¡¡ Por fin pagas por lo que consumes !!!