Re: XHTML tables

Tobias Reif wrote:

> "Norm: If we were starting over, I don't think there'd be much support
> for CALS over HTML."
>
> I agree. I think I'd be much happier with a DocBook which includes the
> XHTML table model. Simple to write, simple to process, familiar to many.
> (Perhaps you could forward this vote to the TC :)

But HTML table model in DocBook breaks backward compatibility and it
isn't easy to integrate both CALS and HTML tables at the same time (you
will get very relaxed DTD for tables which will allow you to create
mangled CALS+HTML tables). And creating two DocBooks -- one with HTML
tables and second with CALS ones is also not good idea. This will
confuse users. For these reasons, I think that DocBook should live with
CALS tables also in a future. And as there will be more and more WYSIWYG
editing tools even in open-source and free shops, there won't be such
loud noise against CALS in favor of HTML.

Just my 0.02 suggestion for TC :-)

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka at kosek dot cz