Re: Docbook : Cross reference between Books

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 06:09:32PM +0100, Philip U. Sam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using docbook 3.1 and planned to use the latest docbook4.2 in
> SGML. And we use DSL/DSSL stylesheet.
>
> Is it possible to cross reference a docbook book's sections from another
> docbook book's section?
>
> Xref is only for within the docbook book, if I am right?!

Yes, olinks are meant for cross referencing between
documents.  In 4.2, there are two kinds of olinks.
The older entity-based processing is still usable in
the SGML version with DSSSL.  The newer XSLT-based processing
is only implemented in the XSL stylesheets for XML.

The entity-based version is documented in:

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/dsssl/current/doc/olinksemantics.html

                                            email: bobs at sco dot com