Re: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes:19 Nov 2002

At 14:40 2002 11 19 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:

>| 6. Instance-based cross-reference text
>
>This is on the agenda for Paul to consider use cases. Unfortunately,
>Paul isn't here this week.
>
>ACTION: Bob to discuss with Paul for next month. Plan to close next month.

Oops, what was/am I supposed to do here?  Someone remind me what
this is about please.

>|     615587 Support xml:base
>
>Any object to adding xml:base to the common attributes? None.

Hmm, no discussion?  I'd have had lots of questions.

Just what is the point of xml:base?  Having xml:base is
only useful if there are relative URIs within scope, so
it's important to answer just what values are supposed to
be affected by xml:base.

So just what things in DocBook are affected by xml:base?

Does xml:base affect the value of the fileref attribute?
What about ulink's url attribute?  They are both just CDATA,
so how is an application supposed to know whether they should
be affected?  Yet users will certainly expect them to be.

What else, if anything, will be affected?  Maybe xincludes,
but the next item says we rejected supporting xinclude.

>Accepted.
>
>|     615588 Support XInclude
>
>BS: I don't think it's possible because you can potentially XInclude
>required elements.
>
>Rejected. You should do XInclude before DTD validation.

paul