re: Modularity and PE reorganization

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: DOCBOOK: Modularity and PE reorganization
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:44:28 -0400

I spent some time this weekend with several hundred little slips of
paper[1] making a stab at a more logical set of parameter entities (or
at least, of classes) for DocBook.
Wouldn't using physical tokens, for each element, imply that they can only belong to one class or module? Certainly, where multiple interpretations of a term exist (e.g. "module", "class", "package", etc.), some duplication is acceptable and should even be encouraged. Using separate namespaces (if possible) for each module would help disambiguate collisions (for purposes of authoring, documenting, and processing, actually).

Hopefully, allowing duplication of elements would eliminate nearly all of the tough classification decisions. Furthermore, being able to put them in different namespaces would allow their content models to differ.

Anyhow, one thing I noticed about your categorization is that you put a number of document structures in a "publishing" class (e.g. figure, blockquote), yet you put things I consider to be publishing (i.e. referring to a context outside of the document) in a "core" class (e.g. edition, pubdate, publisher, issuenum). I think the fundamental blocks found in all types of documents (e.g. para, figure, etc.) should form the core, while larger-scale blocks (e.g. chapter, part, article) would go in a 'document' class (as opposed to a website class, letter class, resume class, etc.). Then, domain-specific terms (with publishing being considered a domain) should go in their own modules (BTW, I'd put revhistory in publishing).

Thank you for considering my feedback.

Matt Gruenke