callouts and admonitions

If I want to use the callouts or admonitions in my files I am currently placing a copy of the images directory (a customised copy containing the files I need) in the directory that I am executing the command sequences needed to generate the files.

This does not feel like  it is the correct way to do this as I would assume that the
style-sheet programs should create these directories automatically and place any
files needed in them?

Regards

AM