Re: Re: [docbook-tc] Proposal: Linking in DocBook

At 23:47 24/06/2002 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Norman Walsh writes:

> Fork 2: Do It Our Way OR Do It the XLink Way
>
>   If we do it our way, we get to define the semantics, but no tool will
>   ever support our linking elements directly. (Well, I suppose some
>   special purpose DocBook tool might, but let's not worry about that.)

I'm wondering how such "direct" support would look like.  All toolsets
that work with DocBook are in some way specially purposed for DocBook.
I was going to say that.
I personally either work with docbook or 'don't'.

If I'm working with docbook, then I either accept the stylesheets or
modify them (if I can) to suite.

Even if mods are 'docbook only', I'd still be happy (or roll my own),
since I'm either in 'docbook space' or not, I.e. I have never gone from
docbook to other than its html/pdf output formats, which is why I use
docbook in the first place.

I think I'm trying to say that this group has shown so much common sense
so far, I'd trust its judgement for a good while yet :-)

Your decision, I'll not knock it!

regards DaveP