RE: Attributes for text direction and language

It's been a while since I looked at this, so take
it with a grain of salt, but I think that if you
use Unicode (or UTF8), the codeset itself provides
the information you need to render right to left
and left to right text, including some characters
that act as cues for cases where there might be
ambiguity.  There is a technical report from the
unicode consortium that discusses this:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr9/

While that seems like the cleanest way to handle
RTL and LTR text, I don't know whether browsers
and/or stylesheets use this information.

Dick Hamilton