Troubles with PSGML-Mode in Xemacs

I wrote some docbook-documents in Xemacs. Then I tried to install the psgml
mode for a better view.

I got the package psgml-1.2.2.tar, unziped it, ran the configure file,
executed the make file and after that the make install file. I wrote the lines
(autoload 'sgml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit SGML files." t)
(autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t) into .emacs
and I wrote in a load-path-line for the directory the lisp files are in.

But the PSGML-mode still doesn't work. The version is still 1.0.1 and not
1.2.2. And every time i try to do the highlightning xemacs tells me he's
searching in a directory which isn't even created.

I use SuSe Linux 7.1, xemacs v. 21.1.12...

I hope someone can help me (and sorry for the terrible English)

Sorin, Switzerland