Re: inlinegraphic going away... (Was Re: image with link)

/ Dan York <dyork@e-smith.com> was heard to say:
| So for future compliance, the best way to write that would really be:
|
|   <link linkend="mytarget">
|   <inlinemediaobject>
|     <imageobject>
|       <imagedata fileref="mygraphic.gif" format="GIF"/>
|     </imageobject>
|   </inlinemediaobject>
|   </link>
|
| Which is *far* more verbose (thankfully macros can be created!).
|
| Do I read that correctly?

Uh-huh. I almost said that myself. Of course, you *really* ought to
use:

  <link linkend="mytarget">
  <inlinemediaobject>
    <imageobject>
      <imagedata fileref="mygraphic.gif" format="GIF"/>
    </imageobject>
    <textobject>
       <phrase>Simple alt text description of mygraphic</phrase>
    </textobject>
    <textobject>
       <para>A longer description of the graphic, something that would
be useful for readers using a visually constrained system.</para>
       <para>One such example of a visually constrained system is an
audio device for in-car reading of online texts.</para>
    </textobject>
  </inlinemediaobject>
  </link>

That at least makes it clear what all the extra typing is actually for :-)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Labor, n. One of the processes by
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | which A acquires property for
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | B.--Ambrose Bierce