Optional parameters in funcsynopses?

Hi out there...

I've searched the net and these mailing lists' archives and haven't
been able to find a canonical answer for this question. I'm moving a
large number of DocBook 3 files to DocBook 4, and have run into the
tightened content model of <parameter>; i.e., it no longer contains
<optional> or other such tags. This is, I presume, for an excellent
reason; however, I wonder what the current proper way to express the
following would be?

  int somefunc(arg1 [, arg2 [, arg3]])

Or am I missing something fundamental? Thanks for any hints.

|Torben Wilson <torben@php.net>                    Adcore Finland|
|http://www.coastnet.com/~torben            http://www.adcore.com|
|Ph: 1.604.709.0506                             torben@adcore.com|