Re: How to customize DOCBOOK DSSSL for a Web Site

    P> Hi!  I am wondering how DOCBOOK can be used to publish a web
    P> site.

You probably do not want to do this; DocBook is for publishing tech
docs, not websites. For website you'd want to have a new DTD called
WebBook ;)

That said, it is not impossible, but it really means you are headed
for slowly replacing each and every element handler in DocBook until
you have replaced almost the whole thing.  That's the key: You see an
element you don't like, you track down the definition in the DSL
files, replace or extend it with your own code in a local stylesheet
and repeat this process until you have something you do like.

What I recommend is

(a) use DocBook to create the _articles_ within your website and then
    use Perl/PHP/Servlets/SSI to merge them into page templates

or

(b) use DocBook to create base pages which are then post-processed
    by custom software to do fancy things like wrap HTML tables around
    sections, add banner ads and other widgets, tack on a nav bar and
    the like.

What I currently do is (b) but done by hand using sed scripts.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@linux.ca>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
T(C)Inc Business Innovations through Open Source http://www.teledyn.com