Re: How can I publish XML DocBook Docs with the Exeter XML Server?

> From: Alessandro Bottoni <Alessandro.Bottoni@think3.com>
>
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to use Norman Walsh's XML DocBook DTD (and XSL) with the XMLS
> Exeter XML Server ( http://www.xmls.com ). As I expected from a first
> attempt, I'm not able to get any readable HTML document from the test XML
> documents.
>
> As long as I can see, the XSL files by Norman are different from what Exeter
> is expecting (and this seems to be perfectly reasonable).
>
> How can I publish XML DocBook documents using the Exeter XML Server?
> Does anybody know where I can get the right set of XSL files?
> Any other suggestion?

I also failed to get Exeter to work with Norm's DocBook XSL
stylesheets.  When it fails, you just get a blank page
in your browser, but View Source shows the server
did manage to send a <!DOCTYPE HTML ...> declaration.
The server log files show no error messages.

I then tried some of my own simpler
stylesheets, and some worked and some failed.  One
of them started working after I removed the
<xsl:strip-space ...> element from my stylesheet.
This element works in XT, so I suspect the problem lies
in the XSL processor in exeter not supporting all of
the latest XSL specification.  I think Norm's style
sheets exercise quite a lot of the XSL spec.  When it
fails to process the stylesheet, it just fails to
generate any HTML output or error message.

The Exeter server is based on Apache Cocoon technology,
and perhaps it isn't keeping up to date with
XSL (the download filename includes "19991102",
which is 6 months ago).

I suggest you do what the INSTALL file says:
"If you have questions about or problems with Exeter XML
Server, please send an e-mail to Exeter support at
mailto:support@xmls.com."

Ask them if there is a way to get XSL processing
errors reported somewhere so we can see where
it is breaking.

bobs
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
                                            email: bobs@sco.com