RE: DocBook XSL: <xsl:variable> and <xsl:param>

     At 8:43 AM -0500 3/24/00, Norman Walsh wrote:
     >Uh, maybe. Sounds plausible anyway. But the DocBook stylesheets are
     >highly modular and I'm not clear on what the scope of xsl:param would
     >be in the case where they're used in param.xsl which is included in
     >docbook.xsl. I probably ought to check...

     As I understand it, param.xsl provides default settings for a whole
     bunch of parameters.  Right now, they're variables, which, in XSLT's
     definition of "variable", basically means "constants".  Although XT
     seems to let you override their settings from the outside, I don't
     think this behavior is standard.

     If we assume that standard XSLT processors will be used, then the
     procedure for parameterizing the behavior of DocBook XSL stylesheets
     (other than actually editing the templates themselves) is essentially
     to edit the param.xsl file.

Has anyone run such a stylesheet via Saxon,
to see if Mike Kay gives the same results
as James C? Or the new xalan?

If Norm wants to drive them from the
command line, then I'd agree they should
be global xsl:param's

DaveP