Re: low/high resolution images

/ Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> was heard to say:
| On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 07:37:21AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
| > / Michael Wiedmann <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de> was heard to say:
| > | Even better I want to use low resolution images for HTML output linked
| > | to the original high resolution images.
| > |
| > | Is there a way to do this using DocBook and DSSSL stylesheets?
| >
| > This would definitely require a little stylesheet work. Are both the
| > high and low resolution images PNGs or something?
|
| Let's suppose they are.
|
| It's a very interesting issue. I can think a way using parameter
| entities, but not with automatic selection.
|
| Another alternative is having two stylesheets and letting the
| stylesheet automatically choose the extension for the image, and using
| two extensions for filenames (e.g. file.hi.eps and file.lo.eps).
|
| Are there other alternatives?

I'd do it with a role attribute myself

  <mediaobject>
    <imageobject role="print.hires"> ... </imageobject>
    <imageobject role="print.lores"> ... </imageobject>
    <imageobject role="online.hires"> ... </imageobject>
    <imageobject role="online.lores"> ... </imageobject>
  </mediaobject>

and then tweak the stylesheets to "do the right thing".

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If all mankind were to disappear,
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | the world would regenerate back to
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | the rich state of equilibrium that