DAVENPORT: TOC: acrobat out of memory

Hi all
Many thanks to Steve Greenland and Thomas Andre Berger,
who helped me a lot with the mistery of the page numbers in the TOC.

I used jade -t tex, jadetex, dvips, gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
and obtained a nice PDF document.
The child has less than 50 pages, with some drawings; I can
see all the pages with Acrobat but the ones with the TOC.
Whenever I try to, I get
I even tried Acrobat for Linux without success.
Then I said "Stupid !  Try pdfjadetex !"
No way:

> [5.0.35] (/INFINITY/local/TeX/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1ptm.fd)
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [parameter stack size=6000].
> \@lduseb@x #1->
>                \@lduseb@x {#1}\set@color
> l.3142 {0}}\Character{8226}\endLineField
>                                         {}\endSeq{}\Node%
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file not finished!

I have this year's Texlive CD.
The '6000' in "parameter stack size=6000" comes from my ( many )
efforts to modify the texmf.cnf.
I tried many combinations, but it seems that the value has an
upper limit, and I couldn't figure out where it is hardcoded
( help needed from a TeX guru here ).

However, while browsing the output of the various steps I
discovered that the problem lies in the line of dots in the
TOC connecting every title on the left with the corresponding
page number on the right.
They are rendered with a resource-consuming procedure, that quickly
fills the reader memory.
I then modified dbautoc.dsl, changing one line in the function
`(define ($toc-entry$'  from
`(make leader (literal "."))' to `(literal ".......")'.
The result is a bit less beautiful than the original version, but
now it works.
Comments ( flames ) ?