This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the DocBook project.
Re: Equation Enhancement Idea - Wishlist?
- To: docbook at lists dot oasis-open dot org
- Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Equation Enhancement Idea - Wishlist?
- From: Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh dot com>
- Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:22:58 -0500
- References: <009E28E3.3DD58364.email@example.com>
- Reply-To: docbook at lists dot oasis-open dot org
/ firstname.lastname@example.org was heard to say:
| As I understand it equations in DocBook are actually just graphics. This is
| a lowest common denominator. Would it be possible at some time in the future
| to allow equations in MathML. I know the tools are not really mature yet, but
Yes, that's the plan. The timing hasn't been worked out, though.
The problem is that DTDs don't deal with namespaces very well
(er, at all!) and MathML works best as a namespace (to avoid
tag name collisions).
The TC plans to produce an experimental XML Schema version of
DocBook 5.0, and incorporating MathML in that version would seem
very easy (and likely).
Norman Walsh <email@example.com> | certain: adj., insufficiently
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | analysed
Member, DocBook Editorial Board |