Recently, I've had a number of new requests to make the HTML
output from my stylesheets HTML 4.0 compatible. To the best of
my knowledge, the only thing preventing this from being the case
(aside from errors on my part :-) is that blocks nested inside
paras aren't allowed in HTML. So,

  <para>
    <itemizedlist>...</itemizedlist>
  </para>

becomes

    <ul>...</ul>

which isn't allowed.

I'm inclined to "fix" this problem by omitting </p> end
tags. This is legal HTML and will generally do a better job than
the current situation which is clearly a violation of the DTD.

I'm not 100% convinced that every possible combination will
result in valid HTML 4.0, but surely a lot more combinations
will be valid.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't do this?

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Every new beginning comes from
http://nwalsh.com/                 | some other beginning's end.