PDF backend and images

All,

Even if I have lots of trouble installing jadetex macro, I would like to
produce PDF files from my XML docbook documents. Meanwhile I have an
important question which could avoid me to lose too much time: Are the
graphics embedded into the PDF document ? I know that the tex file produced
by jade makes only a reference to the GIF images but are they included
after (either with jadetex, pdftex, dvips or any other macro) ?

Thanks for your help.

Guillaume