Re: Bibliography: citing journal articles

I also had problems marking up journal entries, so I remembered this
thread, and tried out Terry's excellent suggestion (esp. good since
Norm's stylesheets now support CITETITLE).

[...]

TA> Here's a little biblio (which parses) showing how I'd do it.

[...]

TA> <!-- altered with journal title inserted -->
TA> <biblioentry>
TA> <artheader>
TA> <authorgroup>
TA> </authorgroup>
TA> <citetitle pubwork="article">Ruling the World</citetitle>
TA> <citetitle pubwork="journal">Journal of Applied Politics</citetitle>
TA> <volumenum>42</volumenum>
TA> <artpagenums>113-152</artpagenums>
TA> <pubdate>1999</pubdate>
TA> </artheader>
TA> </biblioentry>

Unfortunately, the 3.1 DTD doesn't parse the following correctly:

<citetitle pubwork="journal">

here's the jade output:

/opt/src/mgd/packages/textproc/jade/bin/jade:/opt/src/alex/src/Swarm/swarm.org/biblio.xml:47:39:E: value of attribute "pubwork" cannot be "journal"; must be one of "article", "book", "chapter", "part", "refentry", "section"
 make: *** [index.html] Error 1

After double checking DocBook TDG, I see that `journal' is not an
allowed attribute value for `pubwork'.  Is this perhaps an oversight?
It isn't a stylesheet issue.

Of course, I can make it work by using either `section' or `book', but
that doesn't seem like an elegant way to go, it seems that `journal'
is a common enough `kind' of publication that it should have status in
the DTD.  Since, you might want all journal titles to be formatted in
a certain way by the stylesheets, a common enough thing to do in the
academic world.

Anyway, just my $0.02.

 --- Alex

--