Re: .pdf generation error using the "newer" tools

Sorry for bringing this up again from the recent archives, but I am a newbie
on this list.

I have exactly the same problem as Bill Brooks, and the suggested fix
doesn't work.

>    Using stylesheet:
>    /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.57/print/docbook.dsl
>    Working on: /home/wbrooks/box/work/foo/helloworld.docbook
>    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)
>    (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

Éric Bischoff responded:

TeX classical problem. The default configuration files do not allow
enough resources for docbook.

I believe Eric's response is correct, but his patch to texmf.cnf doesn't
solve the problem since it updates only the jadetex parameters which are
already generous on Redhat 6.2 and not the critical pdfjadetex ones.

On my other box (running Debian potato where I do not have this problem with
pdfjadetex) I have the following jadetex and pdfjadtex parameters.

grep 'jadetex =' texmf.cnf
TEXINPUTS.jadetex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{jadetex,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfjadetex = .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{jadetex,plain,generic,}//
pool_size.jadetex = 500000
pool_size.pdfjadetex = 500000
string_vacancies.jadetex = 45000
string_vacancies.pdfjadetex = 45000
max_strings.jadetex = 58500
max_strings.pdfjadetex = 58500
pool_free.jadetex = 47500
pool_free.pdfjadetex = 47500
nest_size.jadetex = 500
nest_size.pdfjadetex = 500
param_size.jadetex = 1504
param_size.pdfjadetex = 1504
save_size.jadetex = 10000
save_size.pdfjadetex = 10000
stack_size.jadetex = 1503
stack_size.pdfjadetex = 1503
extra_mem_bot.jadetex = 85000
extra_mem_bot.pdfjadetex = 8500

On my RH 6.2 box with exactly the same XML Cygnus system as Bill
(where I do have the pdfjadetex
problem) the parameters are

grep 'jadetex =' texmf.cnf
TEXINPUTS.jadetex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{jadetex,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfjadetex = .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{jadetex,plain,generic,}//
hash_extra.jadetex = 25000
pool_size.jadetex = 750000
max_strings.jadetex = 55000
save_size.jadetex = 15000

So all the jadextex parameters that Eric recommended updating are already
quite generous on RH 6.2, but there are no pdfjadetex parameters at all so I
presume that takes the small default which causes the "I am stymied"
problem.

I will now copy the Debian parameters that work for pdfjadetex to texmf.cnf
on my RedHat box, but I don't know how to proceed from there.  Is there some
command I run to reconfigure everything to use the new parameters?

Alan

email: irwin@beluga.phys.uvic.ca
phone: 250-727-2902	FAX: 250-721-7715
snail-mail:
Dr. Alan W. Irwin
Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3055,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 3P6

Linux-powered astrophysics