Re: new tools coming and a couple of renamings

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, esr@thyrsus.com wrote:
> Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org>:
> > So my proposal is to deprecate the db2* names in favor of the
> > docbook2* names.  This phase-out would be extremely slow, since
> > thousands of build procedures use the db2* scripts now.
>
> something to do with databases.  Removing ambiguity is good.  On the
> other hand, it's proper Unix tradition to have short names for a
> reason -- it saves typing for hapless fumble-fingers like me.

'db' is too much like a database name. 'docbook' is too long. How about "docb"?
as in,  "docb2html" etc.? Yeah, it's just 3 characters shorter, but it appears
to be the shortest unambiguous name... clearly says the command has something
to do with docs, and the b is clue enough that it's dealing with docbook.

Alternately, "doc2html" etc... hmm...  bit ambigous there. Might make me think
it's a generic x-format doc to html translater....

 --
Eric Lee Green      There is No Conspiracy
eric@badtux.org     http://www.badtux.org