Re: Book split to several books

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Eric Lee Green wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Peter Toft wrote:
> > Now I have to split the book into 4-5 parts, but I like
> > feedback on how to do this in an optimal way. My
> > problem is that I have many cross-references which will
> > suffer from the split.
> >
> > I have looked into using <part> which presumably
> > enables me to keep correct cross-references, but I
> > really would like to compile the sub-books
> > individually now - currently it takes too much time to
> > make PS, PDF, and HTML.
>
> Unfortunately your two goals (seperate compilation, extensive cross-references)
> are incompatible. Splitting your document into parts or multiple files on disk
> is easy enough -- "Docbook -- The Definitive Guide" tells you how to do that

Agree - no problem - I have 13 files at the moment.

> within the first few pages.  But if you want cross-references, or a common
> index, well, the document processing system is going to have to chew through
> each of the documents to find all of those references.

Hrrm - my idea could be that book-A makes a summary
file, book-B the same .... and book-N can use check
cross-references to the other books by reading these
summary files (with the relevant labels) - which then
have to be available.

It could be cool, that book-N automatically could have

Take a look into <xref linkend="hardcoreLinux">

being expanded to

Take a look into the book "Peter Toft; Linux for the
cool dudez - section 3.1"

if the label hardcoreLinux is found in book-A

BR

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"You don't win a battle by asking, `Will we win?'
You win it by doing your best to win"
- Richard M Stallman

----> Visit http://petition.eurolinux.org <---