Re: jade.tgz

    Brendan> I unpacked jade.tgz and had a look at the README and in
    Brendan> the doc/ directory.  It appears to me that this archive
    Brendan> is actually the SP package.  The VERSION file says 1.3.3.
    Brendan> The latest version of Jade is 1.2.1 and the latest
    Brendan> version of SP is 1.3.4.

    Brendan> Now I wonder I'm getting so confused.  I think the
    Brendan> jade.tgz should be renamed sp.tgz.  I'm still confused as
    Brendan> to why there is a jade directory and why the binary is
    Brendan> called jade.  Something doesn't quite gel.

    Brendan> Note: The Jade home page says that a "compatible" version
    Brendan> of SP comes with Jade but it may not be the latest
    Brendan> version of SP.

I think you answered your own question here, but you didn't notice
because the jade/SP thing is weird.

SP can be obtained alone (in which case it will have a slightly higher
version number), but it can also be built as part of jade, and is
bundled with jade, and almost everyone gets it in the jade package.

The reason you see both SP and jade is that that is the jade package,
and it has SP and jade in it.

Don't worry: you are getting an OK jade distribution.  Future packages
will probably be based on OpenJade, which has moved beyond since James
Clark stopped maintaining jade.