Re: psgml for vim

Mark Galassi wrote:
>     Gary> and
>
>     Gary> 2) as I like/use vim and have never tried emacs, is there a
>     Gary> vim equivelent
>
> vim is a souped-up vi, right?  I'm afraid I don't know of SGML editing
> modes for it.  Is there a "vim" FAQ or mailing list?

Yes, vim is a souped-up vi.  I'm a "vi" die-hard myself, but use emacs
psgml mode for editting SGML.  If you're already accustomed to all of
the mysterious incantations of vi, I think you'll find that emacs is
much simpler to use, with those GUI pull-down menus and all.  I've heard
some people say, "emacs is not just an editor, it's a way of life"--If
you wanted, you could do just about anything from sending e-mail to
surfing the web just using different emacs lisp modules.  So far, I
still prefer vi and just use emacs for psgml (most of my work is
maintaining SGI IRIX systems, and there's only vi and no emacs when you
have to do something in maintenance mode).

You might want to try one of several vi emulator modes for emacs just to
get used to it--I've used "viper" occasionally--it lets you set the
blend of vi and emacs commands that you want from "novice" up to
"expert" depending on how familiar you are with the emacs commands.  I
don't think, however, that you could have both viper and psgml running
simultaneously since they're both "major modes" but some emacs whiz
might correct me on that point.

At least in the Linux environment, there's a "Help" menu in emacs that
will take you to most of the documentation.  There's also a new site,
www.emacs.org, but it's a bit under construction-- You'll find various
FAQs and mailing lists for emacs on that site.

I don't know if there's a FAQ or mailing list for vim, but I don't think
there's anything like psgml mode for vim.  I don't think vim could
support all of the pull-down menus and special features you get in emacs
psgml mode.

--
"Jonathan F. Dill" (dill@umbi.umd.edu)
CARB Systems and Network Administrator