Re: Docbook tools

David,

Thanks for your kind answer.

Le Mon, 06 Sep 1999, David C. Mason a écrit :
> Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr> writes:
> > What is the reason
> > for putting both the 3.0 version and the 3.1 version of the DocBook
> > DTD in the RPM archive? It makes the file bigger.
>
> It is unfair to compare a system like RPM to tar.gz or other
> archiving/compression formats. RPMs *add* functionality, thus
> sometimes larger files. Mark is working on other packages.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I was wondering why putting both the 3.0 and the 3.1
versions in the same RPM. Why not only the 3.1 version ? I was in no way
comparing RPMs to tarballs. I should have said "RPM packages" and not "RPM
archives".

> This is actually a problem with TeX itself. The French style file
> (french.sty) now has some major licensing issues thanks to its creator
> changing the license. The file was removed from the CTAN repository
> and it breaks things like jadetex that still try to call it. This
> should be fixed in Mark's latest version but you might find older
> versions still rely on the style file.

Thanks for the info.

> As to the CKVJ languages, there is now support for Japanese in DocBook
> but you will need to write language files for other languages. These
> files are part of the Stylesheets and are really quite easy to write
> as long as you have someone who knows the language.

We have such people at KDE. Errr... what does CKVJ stand for ?

> Good Luck, its great to see you guys moving to DocBook, this is a
> great step for your project and mine(GNOME) to start sharing things
> like a help browser backend.

I fully support the policy of making KDE and GNOME as much compatible as we
can, I am very happy to meet you on this mailing list, and I hope we will have
the occasion to help one another many times again. The BIG conversion from
linuxdoc to docbook at KDE is to take place in very short time now.

Greetings,

Eric
     .~.    "Release of Windows 2000 has been
     /V\      postponed until January 1, 1901"
   //   \\
  /(     )\
    ^^-^^
Eric Bischoff - mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr