Re: installation instructions?

Hi Daniel,

Let me try to answer some of your questions.

    Daniel> But I don't know where to put most of the pieces.  Jade is
    Daniel> autoconf based, so it's easy, but where does the other
    Daniel> stuff go?  None of the other packages have any
    Daniel> installation instructions, nor were there any instructions
    Daniel> on the DocBook Tools site.
    Daniel> (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/docbook-tools/)

The goal of these RPMs is not to provide a useful source distribution
(although I do want to do that eventually), but rather to make it
convenient to get going.  THat's why you ran into this brick wall.

    Daniel> I'm sure I can figure it out if I hunt around some more,
    Daniel> but I'd expect that this sort of thing should be more
    Daniel> obvious than it currently is.

The RPM spec files might help, or knowing a bit about where TeX puts
things.

    Daniel> Sure, *I know* it's probably simple if I use the RPM's
    Daniel> instead.  But I'm stubborn.  I have this fetish about only
    Daniel> running software that I compiled myself, so I try to never
    Daniel> use RPMs.

That's what the SRPMs are for!

    Daniel> So my question is, how do the different pieces of the
    Daniel> DocBook tools fit together and how should they be
    Daniel> installed?

If you don't want to build from SRPMs, try to start with sgml-common,
look at its spec file, and put the files where the spec file says to
put it, and run the script in the spec file which installs the catalog
entries.  Then do the same with the docbook package.  Then install
jade with automake/autoconf and install its catalog entries with the
same scripts.  Then do the stylesheets (which also have catalog
entries).  For jadetex and hyperref you can put the stuff where you
usually put TeX macro packages.

You might as well just use the SRPMs: that way you compile it
yourself, and you get the convenience of package management.

    Daniel> And my suggestion is, put that information either in the
    Daniel> tarballs or on the web site, or both.

I agree.  If you send me a patch with such info I'll include it.
Unfortunately I have not yet put my big spurt of time into expanding
from just handling RPMs to providing cross-platform solutions.