[docbook-apps] Re: Graphics formats

Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote on Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:56:04
+0100:

>> 2. If your graphic data is in raster format:
>
> Examples please? Typical extensions?
> Put simply, what's your definition of raster format please?

Non-vector (pixel) format: PNG, JPEG, BMP, P?M, GIF, TIFF, some EPS/PDF, ...

>> There are open-source tools for essentially all conversions that arise
>> in practice.
> Oh but I do wish Irfanview were available to me under Linux.
>    (off we go again)
> What do you use please Justus?

For conversions involving SVG I've already posted my solution in this
thread. For conversion between raster formats, I use convert from
ImageMagick, or the netpbm tools. For conversions involving EPS or PDF
I use ghostscript and associated tools.

> How about screen capture, save as PNG?

Most image manipulations have a screen-capture functionality, e.g. the
GIMP. Or if your question was the following: yes, PNG will normally be
the recommended choice, unless your screen displays a photograph (but
in the latter case you probably have the image file already on your
hard drive).

Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279