Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

> I agree that complexity should be moved from the XHTML to the CSS, but we
> need the hooks in the XHTML to apply the CSS, no?   The div elements serve a
> purpose in creating a structure in the XHTML that CSS can work with.  Since
> CSS styles can cascade down through the structure, you can set styles at the
> appropriate level and override them as needed in lower levels.  I agree that
> we should eliminate div elements that don't serve that purpose, but I can't
> see removing them all.

Bob,

While we can't avoid DIVs, you can certainly eliminate a great deal of
them. To me the table of content is a good example. The ideal way to
output this would to have the title, ie Table of Content in an H2 tag.
Other than that, we need a nested definition lists (DL), possibly with
a class attribute (something like class="toc") for the top level DL,
That's it. All the SPAN and DIV that are generated are superfluous,
cause I can do the rest from the CSS.

Point is that one well place ID or CLASS attribute can give you plenty
of hooks for styling without adding DIVs and SPANs.

Thanks to all,
Rene