Re: [docbook-apps] static table of contents

Using CSS:
div.toc {
float: left;
width: 20%;
position: fixed;
}

div.book div.chapter {
margin-left: 20%;
}

I believe that should work for any browser EXCEPT MS IE, because IE doesn't support position: fixed (even though it's been part of CSS for 7 years). Fixed sections in IE require some complicated div-sizing that is easy to break. :-(

Which then leaves frames as your other option. Bob's book has a good description of how to use frames with chunk.xsl. To do it with one chunk, I think you'd have to do two passes, one suppressing the TOC and one suppressing everything else, to create the index file on the left and the content page on the right.

Tristan Fiedler wrote:
I am creating an html page from DocBook using "onechunk"

I would like the table of contents to be located in a left hand section of the page which does not move as the reader progresses through the document.

Can this be accomplished with either xsl or css?

Cheers,        Tristan
---
Tristan J. Fiedler
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

-- Larry Garfield AIM: LOLG42 larry@garfieldtech.com ICQ: 6817012

"If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it." -- Thomas Jefferson