Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook schema/DocBook XSL customization for teachingpurposes

Mike, thank your for an opinion

Michael Smith wrote:
<skipped>

I personally would recommend adding new elements rather than using

But if you decide to go with adding new elements, what you'll probably want to do is to create an XSL stylesheet to take doc instances with your custom elements and transform them into "standard" DocBook before you generate any output from them. That

The reason to do it that way is that you then don't need to do any hacking of the DocBook XSL stylesheets.
Yes, I have considered that way before. But I still need to hack DocBook's XSL stylesheets to customize titleing and labeling (then "autoannotated" elements with custom roles) in HTML/PDF output, e.g <section role="exercise"> should give "Exercise 2.1: Title", rather plain section title.
So what reason then not to build customization layer right over DocBook's XSL styleets?

And for creating the actual DocBook customization layer, I'd
recommend using the RELAX NG "compact syntax" (*.rnc) version[1]
of DocBook rather than the DTD.
Yes, it definitely useful, especially when DocBook NG is migrating into RELAX NG usage as core schema definition language.

Dimitry.