FW: [docbook-apps] RE: HTML -> DocBook Conversion?

 > Do you have a summary written up about any
 > problems or limitations
 > you ran into getting valid DocBook output from
 > Frame 7? A couple
 > years back Bob Stayton wrote up a list of some
 > problems he found,
 > and I did the same. Summary is at:

 Thank you to you and Bob for that summary. I
 found it and read it before I attempted any
 DocBook work in FrameMaker. It was an excellent
 heads up. I'm still new to DocBook and XSL, but
 I'd been using FrameMaker (unstructured) for
 years. So, I had some confidence in the venture
 and with the summary from you and Bob I went
 ahead. The problem myself and many others have
 when things go wrong is that we don't know
 whether the problem is caused by us (mistakes) or
 by the software (deficiencies, bugs). A heads up
 beforehand can really help with the learning.

 I guess that the entire README for my
 FrameMaker+DocBook project can't be considered a
 summary. It is really long and detailed. The most
 important bit of info, just my opinion, is that
 virtually all the structured FrameMaker trouble
 is attributable to FrameMaker's need to translate
 XML to its FrameMaker format, including the
 DTD-to-EDD translation, which can be (is) also a
 source of trouble. Add to that the scuttlebut on
 the Internet that Adobe let go its entire
 FrameMaker programming staff after releasing
 FrameMaker version 7, the remaining maintenance
 off to India, and what do we have? Adobe
 announced that the Mac version would be phased
 out; the experimental Linux version died long ago.

 Again, just my opinion, and I do pay close
 attention to what more experienced people say on
 this list and other lists, I think that a
 real-time-WYSIWYG XML authoring tool that formats
 both on-screen display and output according to
 legal, standard XSL is what's needed. If someone
 does not want the WYSIWYG part, they can turn it
 off. FrameMaker partially provides this, just not
 with XSL. I forgot to add, the XSL from the
 mythical tool I describe must be portable, no lockin.

 Maybe Arbortext's Styler provides just as good
 functionality. I may have the chance to learn
 some Arbortext tools, and I don't really know
 what Styler is/does, so I am open to hearing
 about it from others.

 In the free world, my own little project: DocBook
 XSL Configurator (far from a WYSIWYG tool),
 provides some help for creating XSL customization
 layers for DocBook:
 https://sourceforge.net/projects/db-xsl-cfg/

 OK, I've become long winded. You asked for a
 summary about the problems I may have had getting
 valid DocBook XML output from FrameMaker. In the
 FrameMaker world, they call it "round-tripping."
 Here is an excerpt from the README:

 *****************************
   Public/System Identifiers.
     To get FrameMaker to write a public
 identifier in output XML, I used
     the following read/write rule:
     *******
     writer external dtd is public "-//OASIS//DTD
 DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
     "/usr/share/docbook-xml42/docbookx.dtd";
     *******
     FrameMaker 7.0 cannot correctly write out a
 URL used as a system
     identifier. For example,

 "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd";
     is always changed to

 "http:/www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"
     Note the missing forward slash.

   Upon XML export.
     1) Lots of fairly ordinary ascii characters
              were changed to internal general entities
              (such as hyphens, etc.).
     2) "imagedata" element "fileref" attributes
                 became external parameter entities
     3) Each structured file in the FrameMaker
             book became an external file referenced
              by an external parameter entity, but so
              did the unstructured files (TOC, LOF, LOT,
              and Index). The unstructured files had to
              be removed from the exported XML tree before
        validating.
     4) Many (all?) default attribute values not
             explicit in the input XML were made explicit
              in the output XML.

     I suppose all import/export behavior could be
        changed with a "custom client," but that is
         like selling someone a piece of software as
         "able to do _anything_ you want," and
         adding "you just have to do some programming."
         What is this fabulous piece of software that
         is so versatile it can do anything I want?
         Well, of course, it's a compiler!
  *****************************

 It's an exaggeration to say this, but I think the
 point comes across. With structured FrameMaker,
 everything can be cured with a custom API client,
 which one typically writes in C using the
 FrameMaker Developer Kit and some other
 programming packages from Adobe. Personally, I
 found that to be more work than I was willing to put in.

 > Did you run into those same problems? If so, how
 > did you work around them?

 Yes, the same problems.

 > Post-processing, maybe? Or some
 > custom proramming.

 I manually made the necessary adjustments to the
 XML that FrameMaker output in order to get the
 output XML to validate. But then I only had one
 document to do that with. In large enterprise
 production environments, I'm sure they use
 automated processes to do the same or similar.
 However, it's really not good that any of the
 adjustments to output XML need to be done at all.

 > One thing about working with MIF is, there is no
 > free open-source MIF parser for Frame 5 (or 6
 or 7). There was one
 > once that could handle Frame 4 files, I think.
 So if you were
 > really to build your own system for working
 with MIF in Perl or
 > whatever, you'd first need to create a MIF parser.

 I did not know that. That's interesting info.

 Obviously, when we eliminate the unnecessary
 intermediate formats, many problems disappear.
 Just plain DocBook XML authored in GNU emacs and
 then processed by libxml2 tools takes me a long
 way with fewer opportunities for trouble. But I'm
 just one guy at home on my computer. I know that
 what works for me may not work for large enterprises.

 > (And Steve, I don't mean you personally,
 because I know you
 > already know XSLT

 Not very well. I am heavily dependant on others,
 like Bob Stayton, for the DocBook XSL
 stylesheets. I don't know, but there may be
 literally thousands like me who are similarly
 dependant on the DocBook XSL stylesheets.

 Steve Whitlatch