Re: [docbook-apps] XMLroff

Michael:

This is a follow-up to my inquiry regarding the state of the art of using DocBook in conjunction with LaTeX.

Per your suggestion, I downloaded the db2latex files and installed them on my SuSE 9.0 Linux system.  Using Oxygen, I created a DocBook file and an xsl file as set out in  QuickStart Using DB2LaTeX?  (http://db2latex.sourceforge.net/quickstart.html).  I found several errors when I validated these files; however, they were easy to fix.  Albeit a relatively simple document, it produced a nice looking document. Having said that, I don't know how it will behave with more complex documents.

I came across a rather different project, tbook (http://tbookdtd.sourceforge.net/).  It is an XML format that, when processed, produces XHTML+MathML, HTML, LaTeX, or DocBook files.  LaTeX and DocBook files can be further processed to produce documents in other formats.  It has only 80 elements (as compared with 400+ in DocBook); but, it appears to be more flexible than Simplified DocBook and, therefore, perhaps more suitable for general purposes. Its claim to fame is its ability to leverage LaTeX in presenting mathematical and scientific text.  This looks very promising.

Gary L. Hoffman, Esq.
Erickson & Sederstrom, P.C.
(A Limited Liability Organization)
10330 Regency Parkway Drive
Omaha, NE  68114
USA
(402) 390-7117
(402) 390-7137 (fax)
e-mail: ghoffman@eslaw.com
resume: www.eslaw.com

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.